Individuals wishing to pursue a career as a Legal Secretary.
Comprehensive end-user knowledge of Microsoft Word, competent keyboarding (at least 40 wpm), good letter layout and office practice skills.Familiarity with the Irish Legal system as detailed in the Pitman Training ‘Introduction to Irish Law’ module.
To give an introduction to the work, responsibilities, practice and structure of the Wills and Probate Department in a legal office.
- Lesson 1: An overview of Wills, the Legal Personal Representative, testamentary gifts, attendances, procedures to be followed when preparing a Will
- Lesson 2: Codicils, general and enduring Power of Attorney, Instrument creating the Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA), preparing a Notice of Execution on an EPA, registration and revocation of EPA, ward of court proceedings
- Lesson 3: Grant of Representation, forms and fees, Administering an Estate, Instruction Sheet for Administration of an Estate, letters to be sent to Executors of a Will and a Financial Institution, Bereavement Grant Application letter, Inland Revenue Form CA24, Oath of Executor Form, Grant of Probate, Charitable Bequest Form, Statutory Notice to Creditors (section 49 notice)
- Lesson 4: Initial steps after Grant has issued, preparing letter requesting payment from Financial Institution, preparing a letter paying a legacy, Assents, preparing Administration of Accounts
- Develop an awareness of the workings and structure of a Wills and Probate Department
- Have practical experience at drawing up the necessary legal documentation required when dealing with wills and probate through working with the true-to-life scenarios that are integral to this course
- This course can be completed as a stand-alone module but also represents one full module of Pitman Training’s widely recognised qualification, the Legal Secretarial Diploma.
Further Legal Secretarial Modules